Sometimes it seems as though people run out of options on how to deal with life. One small hick-up and they are ready to throw in the towel. This doesn’t mean they are weak, but many things went wrong.
The compounding effect of uncertain times can become too much. Reasons for wanting to give up include:
- They are overworked with too much to do in too little time.
- They expect unrealistic, fast results.
- They remain stuck in the past.
- They dwell on mistakes – their own or other people’s mistakes.
- They fear the future and they resist change.
- They feel sorry for themselves and assume that their problems are unique.
- They feel the world owes them something and they adopt an attitude of entitlement.
- They forget God and discard their roots in faith.
If you are ready to give up, you might be harbouring more than two or three of these inclinations. The good news is that there are many ways you can reduce stress and anxiety. It is time to take action!
One of the ways to become well is to get a clear and realistic perception of who you are. Self-awareness is about understanding who you are, why you do what you do, how you do it, and the impact this has on others.
Self-awareness is connected to your spiritual grounding, emotional intelligence and success. When you are spiritually grounded in your faith it allows you to prayerfully venture down the right path by choosing to pursue the opportunities.
That wisdom will allow you to learn from past triumphs and mistakes without shame or guilt. You will acknowledge what you still need to learn and identify your strengths. Self-awareness is not learned in a book, but requires some self-reflection! Here is a few guiding questions:
- What are 5 of your strengths and 5 of your weaknesses?
- What do you value most?
- How do you respond under stress?
- How do the different roles you play in your life make you feel (e.g. sister, student, best friend, employee, athlete, etc.)?
Take the time to reflect on your answers and ask for help if you are struggling and feel overwhelmed. By the grace of God, you will get the wisdom to make the right decision at the right time.
If you would like more information on how to incorporate these strategies you can book an appointment with Dr Barbara Louw.